Sitcom Writing and Development with Declan Hill
About this workshop
This one day workshop is for people who are new to the world of sitcom writing.
- Perhaps you have written drama and want to branch into comedy?
- Maybe you are a stand up comedian who wants to develop a sitcom?
- Possibly you are new to the world of comedy writing entirely?
Regardless of your experience, if you are keen to write your own sitcom then this special day is for you.
Under the guidance of Declan Hill, you will learn the fundamentals of sitcom writing, illustrated by examples from classic sitcoms.
Students will also receive a discount if they wish to enter script competition at www.shortcom.org.
They will be set a number of practical exercises, such as inventing a comedy character and then present their work to Declan and their group to receive constructive feedback.
It is a fun and practical workshop that looks at:
- Sitcoms, comedy dramas and the ‘sitcom spectrum’
- How to create a memorable comedy character and a sitcom ‘family’
- How to structure a story in seven easy steps
- How to avoid common mistakes
- How to make your script stand out from the crowd
Declan Hill spent 10 years co-producing the award-winning sitcom writing competition The Sitcom Mission, reading over 3500 scripts and feeding back on 500. Previous winners were optioned by Hat Trick and Fudge Park Productions.
Declan co-authored the Amazon 5 star book Your Sitcom Mission… Should You Choose to Accept It with co-producer Simon Wright and comedy writing legend John Vorhaus.
Declan was also previously the teacher of the Sitcom Writing course at City Academy. He now script reads for Short Com’s Sitcom Writing competition and is creative consultant for Mates: The Improvised 90s Sitcom.
By bus: 76, 141, 149, 242, 243, 276, 277, 488